Friday, June 10, 2011

Yay...It is Friday!!

So if anyone is wondering...my mission to keep Tux awake so that he would not wake me up super early, sadly did not work.

Our honeymoon is coming up.  I mentioned Copenhagen which will be the first place we stop.  One of the other places we will visit is St. Petersburg, Russia.  The cruise ship will be docked in St. Petersburg for 2 full days!  I can't wait, Russia is a place that always seemed like an unobtainable place to visit.  The pictures of the Church of Spilled Blood are so enticing.  Here are some fun facts that I have gathered while reading travel books:


  • Russia is the world’s largest country.  It is 6.7 million square miles  and has 13 different time zones!!
  • St. Petersburg has a population of just under 5 million.
  • St. Petersburg spreads over 40 islands
  • St. Petersburg was founded in 1703 and was once the capital of the Russian Empire.
  • The name of the city changed to Petrograd in 1914, then to Lenigrad in 1924, and then was restored to St. Petersburg in 1991.
  • The Russian language is made of the cyrillic alphabet.   (Man are we in trouble reading signs....luckily we will be going with tour guides when we go into the city!!)
  • A visa is required to enter Russia.
  • St Petersburg is 8 hours ahead of EST.
  • The currency is the rouble.  Roubles can not be obtained outside of Russia.  28 roubles is approximately $1.
Other randomness to share with you:
Rob and I plan to play golf tomorrow.  I play in a golf league weekly, but Rob hasn't played in almost a year.  You know how competitive I am...hopefully this is a good idea for newlyweds!!

I have mastered the googlechrome 'Angry Birds'.  Now I just need to hope they come out with more levels....or maybe not, as I will just be addicted with getting all the possible stars for those as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment