Thursday, November 10, 2011

Beautiful People, Beautiful Culture

Tuesday the city had over 100mm of rain.  It was one of the worst rain storms they have ever seen.  We were able to go to Madre Teresa on Wed, however several of the streets along the way were flooded.  Ivan drove right through one after pausing to think about it for about 5 seconds.  We were all shocked, as that is something we would not do in the US, however we made it!  Below are some pictures of the flooded streets - Megan provided these pictures for me to share:


It continues to rain each day we are here.  It has not been as heavy of rains, but enough to be annoying.  We have continued at our placements and seeing the city.  On Wed I worked with the elderly ladies at Madre Teresa.  I helped feed one lady who is bliind, mopped the floor, and then played bingo with 4 of the ladies.  With their help, I can not count 1 to 78 in Portuguese.  I brought my photo album which they and the workers really enjoyed.  One of the sisters was very surprised I was married (I guess she thought I looked too young).  Joselita, one of the elderly ladies who is very social, sat next to me with her arm around me and held an entire conversation in Portuguese.  I just smiled, nodded and said sim (yes) several times, and she seemed happy. She was saying something about Florida and California but that was all I know.

Wed night all of us went to Pelourinho again.  We wanted to shop at the market but unfortunately most of the shops were closing at 6pm and we arrived right at 6 not knowing it. We will go back.  The entire group had tickets for Bale Folclorico Da Bahia.  It was wonderful!  If you ever travel to Salvador, make sure you have time to see it.  They had African dances with the Orixas, did Capoeira, and Samba.  Afterwards we had dinner and tried the local dish of mukeka and the popular drink, caporinhas.

Today (Thursday) we went to Madre Teresa in the morning.  Thursdays are a day off for the sisters, so only the 8 children who live there during the week are present, along with the elderly ladies.  We  made paper crowns with the kids which was absolutely adorable, and then yarn bracelets.  We are learning how poor these children really are which is very disheartening but reality.  I helped Alessandra (the cook) with several chores and then we gave the ladies hand massages.

After placement we had a history lesson with a local professor.  He had so much interesting knowledge to share with us.  It was just another example of how great the people at CCS (Cross Cultural Solutions) and who work with CCS are with us. I haven't talked alot about the people at CCS Brazil yet, but they are wonderful wonderful people.

Well until next time (Tchou),
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment